HBC Less of Me

This is a page for the people of Heritage Baptist Church to go on a day to day basis to receive encouragement from brothers and sisters in Christ. I hope that you will end your search for a friendly church by visiting Heritage Baptist Church!

Monday, May 15, 2006

It Is Well!!!

I don’t know about you, but I completely blew my diet this weekend and I’m not even a mom. J I did have a great weekend, however, getting to spend time with my family. I think that anytime you get to spend time with those you love is a time to reflect on how blessed you are. Bro. Newcomb preached a great sermon last night on influences. After church, I reflected on some of the influences in my life. Not all of them have been good influences, but the one’s I remember the most were those that made the positive influences in my life. My mom is one of those who have made a great impact and a very positive influence in my life. Another great influence in my life is my pastor’s wife…Sheryl. I would hope that you all could say this very same thing. Sheryl, I was going to tell you last night, that I appreciate everything you do and that watching your life (all throughout growing up and even now that I’m grown), you have inspired me to be a better person. Once I looked at those great influences in my life, I started thinking about myself. I wanted to know what kind of an influence I have been in other people’s lives. Unfortunately, that is something I may never know this side of Heaven. I know that I haven’t always been the best influence and there are some people who I probably steered in the wrong direction because of my attitude and actions, but I would hope that for the most part, I have been a positive influence in other’s lives. I do know, that I have learned from my mistakes and after last night’s sermon, I will strive to be a better influence to all I come into contact with.
I got to thinking about one of the last statements that Preacher made last night…he challenged us to look through the Bible and look for the influences throughout the Bible. Did you know that all of the influences in the Bible were not positive??? No, there were probably more negative influences in the Bible than anything, but I got to thinking about a little woman that all she wanted was a son. God finally blessed her with a son, and he allowed a man by the name of Elisha to be a part of that blessing. When that young man passed away a few years down the road, did she curse God and get angry and decide she would give up and never serve God again? No, her influence was a very positive one. She picked herself up and ran to tell Elisha. When people stopped her on her way…did she cry to them and tell them her sob story? NO!!! Her response was, “It is Well!” Even though things in life didn’t turn out the way she planned, she still had the strength to say “It is Well”…I only have one question to ask you today. Is it well? Until next time…Keep looking UP for your inspiration and God Bless!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:51 PM, May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know what you mean about influences. When I was a teenager I had some women in our church tell me they wanted their little girls to be like me. Boy, did I feel the pressure of that. Many times in my teenage years, that kept me from making some bad choices. All I could think about were those two ladies having to tell their girls "Don't be like her". Hopefully I steered them the right way. I am a firm believer though in giving those appreciations to people just like you did. So many times we wait unitl it is too late in life to let them know. I've said it many times, I'm so thankful for finding this church when we did.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home